Maui No Ka ‘Oi = Maui is the Best!
If you are coming to Maui a little early I have some suggestions for things to do while you are here preparing for your race.
Maui is a beautiful island and did you know that you can go paddle, be active and enjoy the ocean without training and hurting? Check out Hawaiian Paddle Sports while you are here. There are canoe and snorkel tours, SUP & surfing lessons and canoe surfing if the weather is right. The Eco-Friendly Hawaiian Paddle Sports is one of the highest rating tour companies on Maui. Call to make reservations!
Another favorite of mine is Tobi’s Shave Ice. Fresh fish and shave ice. Can you go wrong? Plus Pa’ia is a cool little town to check out while you explore the island.
A few other must do’s (more like my “must eats”):
- Tinroof – Whatever Chef Sheldon is making
- 808 on Main – Kula Strawberry Salad, add avocado, sub feta for goat cheese
- Like Poke? Food Truck – Poke bake or whatever isn’t already sold out!
- Cafe O Lei – Fish Special, French Onion Soup
- Maui Brewing Co – Everything; I haven’t found something there I don’t like, food or beer. They have 2 locations: Kahana and Kihei. Kahana has a full restaurant, Kihei is a tasting room with usually a really good food truck outside.
- Baya Bowls – Because everyone loves acai bowls, right?
- SlappyCakes – It’s so fun.
- TriPaddle – Just in case you forgot anything for your race.
- Ali’i Kula Lavender – Maui is more than beaches and waterfalls. Visit this serene lavender farm up Haleakala Mountain. Best to go in the morning before the fog or rain rolls in.
- Maui Thing – A great place to pick up locally made gifts for your friends back home.
These are just a few of my favorite things on Maui that make it no ka ‘oi.